Major Project: Screenwriting Software Testing

In this post, I will detail my software testing process on various screenwriting software that I might use for my major project, a script based on the theme of grief and loss.


1. Celtx
To begin with, I had already tested this online software a few weeks ago. This is because it's a professional software that was recommended to me, and one that I was eager to know more about. I also had written my first sketch of the story on it as a test.


From using it, I felt that it was very easy to understand, especially because of its layout. It has the ability to export high quality pdf. It also has other features such as having the ability for others to comment on your script, having others to collaborate with you as a team, and many others. I also tested out the title page, index cards, and screenwriting tools such as character, scene, dialogue, action, transitions, etc. All of these features worked very well and is easy to use.


While I really like Celtx features and layout, unfortunately I won't be using this software because it's not completely free and my free-trial has ended, which means I have to pay in order to use it again. I'm particularly looking for a good but free website to use. From reviews and discussions about Celtx, I also learned that Celtx has formatting issues during the export process, in which it exports less pages as compared to what is written on the site.


2. StudioBinder
I have previously used this software to create my scripts so I am already quite familiar with its features. In terms of layout and usability, this software is really easy to understand. There are features such as giving you a list of settings, transitions, and shots you want to use. The usual screenwriting tools such as scenes, action, character, dialogue, and transition is also very easy to use. The format using numbers for different scenes is quite helpful and the export quality is great. You can use watermarks, header, footer, and many others to show that this script is yours. It also provides the same collaborative and planning feature like Celtx, such as shots planning, locations planning, collaboration with others, etc.


One main issue I have with this software is the lack of a title page. I also noticed that the formatting is very weird for me, despite it being easy to read and understand. The formatting uses too many white space and also has a font that I slightly disliked. That said, I want to really try other screenwriting software. I feel that StudioBinder is more of a software for beginners, which is to guide people who haven't tried screenwriting, while I would like to find something more professional. If all the other screenwriting software doesn't fit my liking, then I would return to using StudioBinder.


3. Kit Scenarist
This software was recommended by a friend. It is used professionally and is free. I really like the layout and formatting of this software, especially the scene list on the left bar and how standard it is. Kit Scenarist also allows a card module feature to see how the story goes in a board. When writing, it also gives suggestions on scene settings and transitions. Other than that, its completely free and also doesn't watermark scripts on output. 


A thing that I dislike about Kit Scenarist is the list of screenwriting elements and tools on the top side of the software such as the scenes, actions, character, dialogue, transitions, etc. I feel that it's less convenient because I have to scroll and click, while other software uses more straightforward and easier forms of screenwriting tools. Because the software is standard, I also felt that the user interface is also standard and is less advanced or easily accessible compared to other software.


4. WriterDuet
I found this software through recommendations from other websites. This software is also professional and has a free offer. Compared to KitScenarist, I like the formatting better in WriterDuet. It has a very accessible screenwriting tools on the top, has a card model feature, has a shot feature, has an ability for collaborators to comment, and really good revision tools using highlights, notes, and many others. It also allows me to include dual dialogues, lyrics, image, new act, and end act. These are features in which other software I researched don't have, and features that I found interesting and might be useful. 


A downside of the free version of this software is that it only allows for three different projects in which drafts cannot be made. Despite that, I don't have any other issues with this software. I really like WriterDuet as it has all the other good aspects and features from the other website, while standing out because it has better user interface and specific features like dual dialogue, lyrics, image, new act, and end act that stands out from the three other software I looked at. 



Conclusion    -   The software I will be using
In the end, I have decided to use WriterDuet to create my script for my major project. I won't be using Celtx because it's not free and has formatting problems. I won't be using Studiobinder because I dislike its formatting and fonts. Lastly, I won't be using Kit Scenarist because of its inconvenient screenwriting tools and because I have found a software that I liked more, which is WriterDuet. I feel that WriterDuet offers so many features as a whole that other alternatives do not have, especially dua dialogues, lyrics, image, new act, end act, revision tools, and many others. I also would like to try it for the first time, as it is a software used by professionals and is quite well-known.


Comments

  1. Great that you posted this, and explored the different software relevant to your site. In your explanation of each software, include some details about the technical features that you explored, what you liked/ disliked about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I have already included more details about the technical features I've explored, especially what I liked or disliked about each software.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Website Research: Hirokazu Kore-eda and Dany Cooke

Website Creation: Gallery Page

Reflection: Moments of Sorrow