Urban Landscape Reflection


I have always found myself interested in photography as an artform, and I felt really grateful when this project was given. I feel that photography translates really well into filmmaking, with both artforms being like siblings. This project has allowed me to understand photography to a deeper level, especially the idea of how it focuses on a single image and time as well as its power to capture meaningful memories. Photographs allows us to relive and feel those memories that we can no longer repeat again, especially with the emotions that it contains. It allows us to stop time and appreciate it.

To understand photography means to also understand filmmaking more, the same likewise. Urban photography as a topic in particular is very easy to follow, as I found that it helps train the eyes on composition and storytelling through things we see at the moment. Especially for this project, the photograph's theme is isolation, as it lacked human beings in it, with a lot of the locations being empty. Personally, this project has helped me so much on understanding more about photography as the beautiful artform it is, and how relates later to my aspirations of filmmaking.

The process of this project felt very pleasing to me. From going out to the Cultural Exchange with friends, exploring it and training our eyes of interesting points. The day felt very fun and taught me how I missed taking photographs while doing walks in morning and afternoon back in Indonesia. The same goes to the self-study photography session I had, walking around the Westcotes and Bede Island, and capturing the sceneries in Leicester. Afterwards, curation and quality control also was fun and beneficial, as looking at photos I thought looked bad but became good after I did correction on them felt very good. When I looked at the end selection of photos, I found myself quite pleased.  

I think this project is one of my favorites, as it was very fun and helped me on understanding the artform, as well as how it relates to myself and my aspirations. In the future, I will remind myself of the joy I had of taking photographs, but this time thinking more about the composition, lighting, story, and theme in mind.

Click on this link to see my website: Charlie's Film Journal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Website Research: Hirokazu Kore-eda and Dany Cooke

Website Creation: Gallery Page

Reflection: Moments of Sorrow