Creative Writing Exercise 1

Emptiness

My eyes open, seeing the dark ceiling from what little light came through the gaps in the window. It's the same dark grey ceiling from which I stare when I woke up from my slumber. A temporary comfort only to remind me that I'm alone in my bed, far away in a foreign country not of my land or people. Few minutes went by, until I realized how heavy these arms and legs are, yet they feel the coldness of the room, forcing me to a sudden reaction to hug the blanket. Everything doesn't seem to be right and a strange feeling came to my head, "Oh, today's school" I said. My weak hands reaching for the phone on the bed table, showing the hour to be five o'clock. Wondering what the rest of the world is doing now, I opened my phone, scrolling down and down until the feeling of being drunk made me stop. Now then, I thought that sleeping is the better option, and yet, I feel tired of it, not after the long hours on bed I spent dreaming away, escaping from the reality. "What should I do?" I asked myself. I wished that I had continued to sleep and dream so that I don't have to confront this feeling of sadness. There is something missing and I felt so sad, to which I was reminded me of the slow but enjoyable days, where I don't feel afraid of the future, and where family and friends shielded me from despair.

Comments

  1. This is a nice start on an idea this piece could be developed to expand on your use of language here and giving more depth to the feelings you describe - looking forward to seeing further development

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Website Research: Hirokazu Kore-eda and Dany Cooke

Website Creation: Gallery Page

Reflection: Moments of Sorrow