Biteable: Target Market - Promoting Myself to Employers

In this post, I will talk about the research I've done for my promotional video. I will be looking at an employer, and their job qualifications for a film director, as I've advertised in my promotional video.

The employer that I chose is Gusto, an Independent Video Production Company and Creative Video Agency based in Brighton. In the future, I might be working with independent production companies like Gusto, as such, I've chosen them as employers for directors.

The job description that they've given are "You will work closely with our Creative Director and post-production team to lead the projects we bring to life at Gusto as our in-house director/producer. This will be a hybrid and varied role that leans more on the directing side but also includes producing roles depending on the nature of the project. You’ll be responsible for managing projects from brief through to delivery, including creative development, ideation and scripting, talent & contributor casting, directing on set and being a leading voice in post-production. Shooting and editing skills are most definitely an advantage but not essential."

Looking at the job description they've given, I can see that currently I'm lacking the experience in filmmaking as a director. That said, I know that I have a vision and will be able to lead a crew based on it. I also know that I've had skill and experience on writing, shooting, and editing. That said, now I will be looking into the requirements they have given.


  • Must have 4+ years experience directing commercial film productions and high-end branded content with both agencies and brands
I am still lacking in this aspect, as I have not many experience yet in commercial film productions, especially with high-end branded content.
  • Being a creative at heart with an obsession for the moving image
I know that I have a creative heart and a burning passion for films.
  • Superior creative skills and an advanced sense of storytelling and aesthetic taste
Although lacking in experience, I believe in my own storytelling and aesthetic taste and how my creative skills are able to achieve that aesthetic and mood.
  • Ability to articulate your creative vision vividly with both excellent written and communication skills
I have the sufficient understanding and language skills to be able to communicate my vision
  • Great attitude, calm and collected in a fast-paced environment; helpful, friendly and diplomatic
I'm a friendly team player and calm leader that can balance personal and professional environment or relationship. 
  • A proven track record of leading productions across a range of briefs, budgets and timelines
I do not have this yet, as I lack in experience of leading productions with such range.
  • An understanding of how and when to scale production value up or down
Although lacking experience, I feel that I can know when a production value should be turned up or down based on the story, budget, and situation.
  • Proven ability to work across multiple productions simultaneously
I do not have enough experience on working across multiple productions simultaneously yet.
  • Good mac literacy
I have a good understanding of how to use computers and other necessary technologies.


From looking at my evaluations on their expectations and requirements, I believe that currently, I am not able to do this job mainly due to lack of experience. Despite having theoretical knowledge from four years of film studies, they are looking more for practical experience involving a wide range of production.

That said, although there are many routes that a filmmaker or film director can take, I think that there is still a high chance that I might join an independent production company like them. I think I would've liked to work on a more independent environment as compared to big studios because I have more creative control over my own films.

Overall, I believe from this research, I've understood that I should be aiming to gain more practical experience with film production whilst improving other aspects of my qualities and abilities. I also have gained knowledge on what independent production companies expect of a film director so that I can work hard to fulfil those expectations.

Comments

  1. Good that you have engaged in this process and understood what you need for employement in the industry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Website Research: Hirokazu Kore-eda and Dany Cooke

Website Creation: Gallery Page

Reflection: Moments of Sorrow